A single word that sums up the drama of the Lithuanians deported during the Soviet Regime. The Holy Mass to remember people who did not survive. Kaunas, St. Michael the Archangel.
- Ludo Segers, Beguinages, a Story between Past and PresentBy Marina MacrìWe met Ludo Segers in Vilnius. Belgian photographer and journalist, mainly specialized in portraits and landscapes, but also in other photographic disciplines, he was exhibiting some of his works. In particular a beautiful report on the “Beguinages”. WATCH OUR VIDEO https://youtu.be/rVbOc1QdMAQ The community, made up only of women, today as in the past leads a secluded life in neighborhoods where houses are located besides other buildings […]
- Lithuania marks Armed Forces Day and its 104 anniversaryBy Marina MacrìOn November 23rd Lithuania marks the Armed Forced Day and this year the 104 Anniversary of the Restoration of the Armed Forces. […]
- Iron Wolf 2022 II by NATO in Lithuania, the largestBy Marina MacrìIn these last few weeks one of the largest multinational military exercises was held in the training area close to Pabradė in Lithuania. WATCH OUR VIDEO https://youtu.be/cIQsAQ9vZWk Thousand soldiers of different nationalities took part at the event, called Iron Wolf 2022 II, that involved the Lithuanian Iron Wolf Brigade’s and NATO enhanced Forward Presence Battlegroup Lithuania which has its headquarters in Rukla in the middle of the country. The eFP […]
- Fluxus Festival, between Art and Creativity in KaunasBy Marina MacrìA huge crowd wearing the most extravagant and colorful costumes, climbed Parodos Hill to celebrate the fifth edition of the Fluxus Festival. More than five thousand people, Kaunasians and not only, took part in the event that take place every September in the second largest Lithuanian city. WATCH OUR VIDEO https://youtu.be/dIUI2SjwK_0 Fluxus Festival 2022 – Kaunas This year the event was the biggest ever, because the city is European Capital of […]
- Lithuania and new scenario in Europe, strategy-InterviewBy Marina MacrìInterview with the Political Director of the Ministry of Defense of Lithuania The current scenario in Europe, after the outbreak of war in Ukraine, is completely different compare just seven months ago. The war has modified the set up in Europe, especially in the field of defense. WATCH OUR INTERVIEW https://youtu.be/9BGDluEldnw Interview with Political Director of MInistry of Defense of Lithuania We met Vaidotas Urbelis, Political Director of the […]
- New challenge, new commander at eFP NATO in RuklaBy Marina MacrìAn important ceremony took held in the NATO Military Base in Rukla, not far from Kaunas: the change of commander of the eFP (enhanced Forward Presence) of the Battle Group in Lithuania. WATCH OUR VIDEO https://youtu.be/sQH8hE-yV_Y Ceremony for the change of commander in Rukla at the eFP NATO miliatry base Every six months the multinational contingent changes its commander and its troops. New tasks for the Battle Group that is facing an historical and […]
You don’t get to choose the stories you tell. They choose you. They are there, in plain sight. Like Poe’s Purloined Letter, you don’t see them. Then, little by little, as an imperceptible destiny, your eyes meet them more and
We visited Lithuania for the first time in June 2005. The country had become a member of the EU just over a year before, together with the other two Baltic States: Latvia and Estonia. It is difficult to know exactly
Marina Macrì Journalist and photographer, is currently responsible of the editorial services at P.M. Studio and its website pmstudionews.com, dedicated to the world of Photo- graphy. She has produced a series of travel reports in different countries like Georgia, Lithuania,
Lithuania is a small country and covers an area of 65.300 square kilometres. If we compare it to Italy, the whole Lithuanian territory is similar to Veneto, Lombardy and Piedmont, all together.
It has less than 3 million people. There are over 600.000 Lithuanians who live abroad. A fifth reside in the United Kingdom, 5.8% in the USA. The Lithuanian American Community is the biggest in the world: about 700.000 people reside there.
Most of Lithuania is flat, with many forests and lakes. The Curonian Spit (Neringa in Lithuanian) is the Western border of the country. It is an amazing peninsula that divides the Curonian Lagoon form the Baltic Sea. Neringa is a long and narrow strip of land, 98 kilometres, 52 of them in Lithuanian territory. The rest belongs to Russia. It is Kaliningrad, a Russian enclave that borders with Lithuania.
At three o’clock in the morning of June 14th 1941, on Moscow’s orders, deportation began simultaneously in the three Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The Chekists were mobilized in Belarus, Smolensk, Pskov… An unbroken chain of overcrowded trains, one after another, was heading East, carrying people, who for most part, would never return home.
Special thanks to Agnė Buckutė, responsible for the website ITLIETUVIAI.it, for helping us with this project.
Special thanks to Elena Refraschini, teacher and journalist, for helping us in English.