A single word that sums up the drama of the Lithuanians deported during the Soviet Regime. The Holy Mass to remember people who did not survive. Kaunas, St. Michael the Archangel.
- Žemaitis, the value of resistance: speaks historian JuodisBy Marina MacrìIn this interview, Darius Juodis, historian at the Military Academy General Jonas Žemaitis of Lithuania, speaks about the figure of the commander of the Lithuanian anti-Soviet partisan resistance. In particular, the historian focuses on the impact that Žemaitis has today. What value can resistance have today and what attention is paid to it. WATCH THE VIDEO https://youtu.be/a_jKsAlUWc8?feature=shared Interview with Darius Juodis about Žemaitis and the […]
- Jonas Žemaitis, the commander, memories of his niece AušraBy Marina Macrì“Jonas Žemaitis, commander of fighting Lithuania”, is a project created by the Baltika-Baltijos Istorijos Association and LithuanianStories to remember the figure of the commander of the partisan resistance, with the pivotal support of Kotryna Buono, great granddaughter of Žemaitis. The initiative is partially financed by the Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Lithuania. The work consists of a series of video interviews with people from […]
- Blue Yellow, Lithuania for Ukraine at NATO SummitBy Marina MacrìA huge event to support Ukraine held in Vilnius during the NATO Summit. Volodymyr Zelensky and his wife landed in Lithuania and took part in the event. NATO Summit 2023 held in Vilnius has been a big event for Lithuania. It is also a moment to express the strong support to Ukraine and to invite all the world to support Ukraine. WATCH OUR VIDEO https://youtu.be/oTBSkDzAwGM In Lukiškės Square, in the center of the capital was organized a huge event. […]
- Griffin Storm NATO, Jens Stoltenberg in LithuaniaBy Marina MacrìThe NATO summit in Vilnius is just a few days away. Jens Stoltenberg, Secretary General of the Atlantic Alliance, visited the Baltic capital and watched a demonstration of the largest NATO exercise in the region with the participation of Lithuanian and German troops: Griffin Storm. At his side were the President of Lithuania, Gitanas Nausėda and the Ministers of Defense of Lithuania and Germany: Arvydas Anušauskas and Boris Pistorius. WATCH THE VIDEO […]
- NATO Summit 2023 in Lithuania, interview with Vice MinisterBy Marina MacrìLithuania is preparing the next NATO summit that will hold in Vilnius on July 11-12. We Interviewed Egidijus Meilūnas, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania. WATCH THE VIDEO https://youtu.be/ieJLRoDcpOY Issues on the agenda: new NATO strategy, reinforcing of eastern flank, strengthening the support to Ukraine. “I cannot imagine a long lasting peace in Europe and possibilities to provide security for European continent without Ukraine’s […]
- When Italy Support Lithuania IndependenceBy Marina MacrìThe diplomatic support of Italy to the independence of Lithuania since 1919: an exhibition of historical documents in Kaunas. WATCH OUR VIDEO Historical Italian Diplomacy, Exhibition at the Adamkus Library in Kaunas Italy and Lithuania: two countries far from each other, but closer than you think. The first one in Southern Europe overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, the other one in Northern Europe on the Baltic Sea, they have been in touch since the […]
You don’t get to choose the stories you tell. They choose you. They are there, in plain sight. Like Poe’s Purloined Letter, you don’t see them. Then, little by little, as an imperceptible destiny, your eyes meet them more and
We visited Lithuania for the first time in June 2005. The country had become a member of the EU just over a year before, together with the other two Baltic States: Latvia and Estonia. It is difficult to know exactly
Marina Macrì Journalist and photographer, is currently responsible of the editorial services at P.M. Studio and its website pmstudionews.com, dedicated to the world of Photo- graphy. She has produced a series of travel reports in different countries like Georgia, Lithuania,
Lithuania is a small country and covers an area of 65.300 square kilometres. If we compare it to Italy, the whole Lithuanian territory is similar to Veneto, Lombardy and Piedmont, all together.
It has less than 3 million people. There are over 600.000 Lithuanians who live abroad. A fifth reside in the United Kingdom, 5.8% in the USA. The Lithuanian American Community is the biggest in the world: about 700.000 people reside there.
Most of Lithuania is flat, with many forests and lakes. The Curonian Spit (Neringa in Lithuanian) is the Western border of the country. It is an amazing peninsula that divides the Curonian Lagoon form the Baltic Sea. Neringa is a long and narrow strip of land, 98 kilometres, 52 of them in Lithuanian territory. The rest belongs to Russia. It is Kaliningrad, a Russian enclave that borders with Lithuania.
At three o’clock in the morning of June 14th 1941, on Moscow’s orders, deportation began simultaneously in the three Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. The Chekists were mobilized in Belarus, Smolensk, Pskov… An unbroken chain of overcrowded trains, one after another, was heading East, carrying people, who for most part, would never return home.
Special thanks to Agnė Buckutė, responsible for the website ITLIETUVIAI.it, for helping us with this project.
Special thanks to Elena Refraschini, teacher and journalist, for helping us in English.